Monday, October 11, 2010

Guest Blogger: 'In Defense Of Doubtatarianism (I think)', by The Elegant Ape

 In my office I sit between two true believers.

On my right is a snake handling, world is five thousand years old, man coexisted with dinosaurs, seamless garment sort of chap.
 
On my left is show me or blow me, all superstition and voodoo claptrap, what kind of fifth century idiot are you?, all the worlds ills can be traced to organized region teeth grinder.
 
Both make impassioned and heartfelt cases.
 
When I was young and full of sap I definitely fell into the atheist camp. As well as the anarchist camp, the narcissist camp, the whatever would get me laid camp (i was once a vegetarian once for six long months). Then gradually under the cover of darkness slipped into the agnostic camp.
 
There I remained peacefully until the birth of my son.
 
I am willing to admit I have prayed before. There were a handful of times when I was in the military that I prayed with a fervor that would have made a Baptist blush. But prayer for the sake of saving your own ass seems self serving and sensible. When the boats sinking you throw everything overboard.
 
But I pray for my son.
 
That he will be safe on the bus. That the other kids will like him. That he will be bright and happy.  That his fever will break. I do it automatically with out forethought or planning to it's efficacy . 
 
Doubt is the true human condition. It's universal. I look at absolute belief in anything as something that warrants scrutiny and caution.
 
So today I state without fear of contrition that I am a rock-ribbed doubtatarian.
(I think.)
 
*
 
You can read more of  The Elegant Ape's stuff here.

1 comment: