Thursday, December 30, 2010

10 Commandments for 2011

 I posted this list of commandments as my New Year's Resolution for last year. Since I still think it's a good set of instructions (and I didn't manage to follow all of the commandments last year), I think I'll re-up. Happy New Year, everyone!

1. Thou Shalt Not eat at any restaurant that has a drive-thru.

2. Thous Shalt Not listen to talk radio, nor shalt thou buy gold.

3. Thou Shalt read at least one piece of literature per month by an author who died before your father was born.

4. Thou Shalt Not drink alone.

5. Thou Shalt express thy patriotism not through the medium of bumper stickers, but through volunteering your time.

6. Thou Shalt learn how to ride a unicycle.

7. Thou Shalt add as many words to thine vocabulary as there are months in the year.

8. Thou Shalt Not receive revealed wisdom, nor shalt thou bow to the dictates of any authority without submitting said dictates and/or wisdom to rigorous empirical inquiry.

9. Thou shalt eat more Greek food. It's delicious!

10. Thou Shalt modify this list of commandments as needed to better fit your life.

5 comments:

  1. Whatever happened to that unicycle? Don't tell me that fell down the list of life priorities?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, it did fall. But I'm going to try to pick it back up. I'm still riding on one crutch, but I'm getting better. Here's to perseverance in the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Were the drinking and the unicycle somehow connected? I live in a nation of alcoholics where no man need drink alone. My one resolution (I'm quite realistic about my flimsy will power) is to quit smoking - so in the next 4 hours I'm gonna smoke myself daft. Then brush my teeth vigorously before new year kisses come round. Happy New Year to you and yours Spencer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thou shall praise and accept on Sundays in lieu of the host, pad thai. And all shall flourish...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steppenwolf:Drinking and unicycling seems like a very bad idea that might lead to some very good youtube videos.

    Mr. Ape: A doctrine I can sink my teeth into.

    Happy new year to you all!

    ReplyDelete