Saturday, January 5, 2019

Cutlery


I was just using this knife to chop garlic and onions and Serrano peppers for chili when I remembered the significance of it. Around a decade ago I confiscated this knife from an individual who was high on crack and threatening another individual with it, who was also high on something, and had a pocket knife. I was able to de-escalate the conflict with the support of a few team members, even though the knife pictured was pointed at me at one point. I kept the knife based on a barely conscious principle I had at the time about weapons which went something like, ‘if I can take it from you, it’s mine’. This was a bit of silly bravado, but as I was chopping the garlic and onions and peppers, I remembered the story of how I got the knife, and realized I hadn’t thought about how I had obtained it in years. I guess the point of this post is that social work is a crazy field: if you can integrate a knife with this backstory into your daily cooking and completely forget how you got it, you work in an exciting business.

No comments:

Post a Comment