Saturday, March 9, 2019

Scene from a Play #1

17 year old runaway runs into his football coach at the airport just as he is about to get onto a plane to a new city to start over:

Kid: Coach? How did you find me?

Coach: I read this (holds up kid’s journal). It fell out of your backpack during our last practice. I was going to give it back without reading it, but then I heard you had run away. I read it thinking maybe I’d find a clue.

Kid: it’s been so hard. Growing up it’s just been me and mom, and she’s got enough burdens...

Coach: you’re not a burden. Let me tell you, the stuff in this journal (holds it up again reverently), it’s inspiring. You capture everything so uniquely. You’re an artist. And that last entry where you decided to run away, when that thing happened at the party...you know you could have called me. I would have come for you.

Kid: nobody ever comes for me.

Coach: (puts hand on kid’s shoulder, his eyes well up) I would of come for you. I came for you tonight, didn’t I? (The kid embraces the coach)

Kid: you did! You came for me.

Coach: You know where else I came?

Kid: where else?

Coach: in your mother. 17 years ago tonight.

Kid: wait...dad?

Coach: that’s right, son. I am your father. And I have a feeling things are about to change around this place!

The End