Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Updike


John Updike was the guy who made me want to write short stories. It was through his jacket blurbs that I branched out and explored other literature, and it was in his writing that I found juicy echoes of my own neurotic humor. I can't say I'm sad that he's dead, because he was old, and it sounds like he led a pretty good life. I can say that anyone who likes short stories should go out immediately and grab a copy of The Afterlife, and anyone who likes good writing period should read all of the Bech books, The Coup, A Month Of Sundays, and Couples. His poetry was also wonderful: A first edition copy of Verse is one of my most prized possessions. Great writer. To whomever is responsible for endowing such talents upon us: more like this, please.

Talking Shop:



No comments:

Post a Comment