Friday, February 12, 2010

Canadian Patriotism

I'm posting this video not so much because it's a good interview with Louis C.K. (a comedian that I admire and think is awesome), but because as I was watching, it occurred to me that Canadian interviewers and celebrities are often very conscious of their nationality, and pretty reliably try to put a 'canadian spin' on their interviews, work, etc. The reason this is noteworthy to me is that I am incredibly irritated by nationalism in general, but Canadian nationalism doesn't irritate me. Is it because Canada is millitarily harmless? Is it because Canadian patriots are quaint, and cute, and cuddly? Is it because the nationalistic nuts in my own country are so loud and vulgar and stupid that the mild and thoughtful sounding patriotism of many Canadian public figures seems so reasonable in comparison?

I don't know the answer to the question, but I feel a little bit patriotic about Canada, even though I've never been there, not even on vacation.

Enjoy:




Cross Posted at The Daily Kos

No comments:

Post a Comment