Sunday, February 19, 2012

Currently Reading

The demon has left me alone for the past couple of days. I wrote up a little community organizing piece for the shelter on Friday, and yesterday I wrote a paragraph in a memoir that promises to take a long time to finish. Other than that I've been reading.

So far this year I've read Hitch-22, Tropic of Cancer, and The Dreams at the Witch House. I am currently reading The Map & the Territory by Michel Houellebecq.

Houellebecq turned me on to H.P. Lovecraft about 10 years ago. I read an article about Houellebecq while I was working at a book store in the early 2000's, and went online to find a small piece of his to read, because he interested me. I found H.P. Lovecraft: Against the World, Against Life, and it transferred my curiosity from Houellebecq to Lovecraft. Houellebecq made Lovecraft into an interesting character, or at least highlighted what was interesting about him. I usually don't read 'weird' or horror fiction, so Lovecraft and I were unlikely to cross paths unless someone intervened.

So I am finally getting around to Houellebecq. I like this book. I've already ordered a copy of The Elementary Particles, which I might read after I finish The Map and the Territory. If I don't do it that way, I might finish reading Hunter Thompson's The Great Shark Hunt, or maybe Moby Dick first. Either way I'll get around to it eventually, probably sometime this year.

Anyway, I'm mainly writing this post because I feel obligated to write something at least once every couple of days. Writing is the only way to keep alive, really.

'In the course of an investigation, as he always said to his student at Saint-Cyr-au-Mont-d'Or, it is fundamental to take notes--at this stage of his expose he would take out his own notebook, a standard 105-by-148-mm Rhodia pad. You should note, he insisted, even if the fact noted seemed to be totally lacking in importance. The rest of the investigation would almost always confirm this lack of importance, but this wasn't the essential point: the essential point was to remain active, to maintain a minimum of intellectual activity, for a completely inactive policeman becomes discouraged, and therefore becomes incapable of reacting when important facts do start to manifest themselves" ~ from 'The Map and the Territory', by Michel Houellebecq.

1 comment:

  1. That rare blogger who reads others.

    Got your book, man; but I'm waiting for my buddy to mail it to me. Thanks much!!!! Looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete