Monday, June 10, 2013

Quitting Everything

I am quitting my bad habits one by one. Currently, my friend Brandon and I are quitting caffeine together. My wife and I are two very judgmental people, and we're trying to learn how to be more peaceful and accepting together. Previously I have kicked the seemingly genetic demons of alcohol, religion, racism, and nationalism. The goal is to just be a decent person.

When my kids chastise me for drinking energy drinks, or talking shit about another driver on the road, or someone from work, I realize I'm not setting a good example. I want my kids to have as few barriers to their happiness as possible, and I figure by confronting my own flaws head on, I give them a better shot.

This is also a major motivation for finally facing up to my mental illness: the more dirty work I do now, the easier they will have it later.

I will never be perfect, but I can definitely do better. What is that Maya Angelou quote? "Do the best you can until you know better, then when you know better, do better."

I like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment