Friday, June 28, 2013

We're All Stowaways Here

"Idolized by all, rejected by each, I was left out of things, and my sole recourse, at the age of seven, was within myself, who did not yet exist, a glass palace in which the budding century beheld its boredom. I had been born in order to fill the great need I had of myself. Until then, I had known only the conceit of the lap-dog. Driven into pride, I became the Proud One. Since nobody laid claim to me seriously, I laid claim to being indispensable to the Universe. What could be haughtier? What could be sillier? The fact is that I had no choice. I had sneaked on to the train and had fallen asleep, and when the ticket-collector shook me and asked for my ticket, I had to admit that I had none. Nor did I have the money with which to pay my fare on the spot. I began by pleading guilty." - from The Words, by Jean-Paul Sartre
 It's nice when you're reading a used book and realize that you would have highlighted the same section someone else has already highlighted. It creates a kind of bond between you and the previous reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment