Monday, April 6, 2009

zzzz...

I went to bed last night at nine o clock and woke up this morning at seven. A miraculous ten hours of sleep. I don't think I've done that since high school. I was able to achieve this magical sleep because the kids are on spring break, my wife is on vacation, and I don't have work or school until one pm. In fact, I'm the only one awake right now. I'm sitting in my living room in a comfortable chair, wearing sweat pants and listening to the local classical station. The smell of coffee is wafting over me, and I can hear birds singing outside. This feels like a small coup.

I took all of the amazon ads off my side bar because 1.) There was something wrong with the code in one of the htmls, and it was causing error messages to show up on several people's computers when they visited my site, and 2.) because Amazon is seriously scaling back it's affiliate program, and 3.) I wasn't making any money off of those ads anyway.

My decision had nothing to do with personal integrity, I assure you.

What a day lies ahead of me! It rained last night, so I'm not going to mow the lawn this morning. I haven't done any yard work since Spring has arrived, and the inevitability of it is looming, but no worries. I do have a little bit of reading to do for a class today, and there's a psych. of personality class later, but today will largely be a day hanging out with the family.

I don't know alot about classical music, but I can pick out a few people. Bach is noticeable for the most part, as is Schumann, DeBussey, Mozart, Vivaldi, and Beethoven. I have a CD by Gavin Bryars, and one by John Adams that I listen to occassionally, but overall, I don't think my brain is patient enough for classical music. I play it sometimes during get-togethers or dinner (as white noise), but I become fidgety when I sit down to listen to a long orchestral piece. Two exceptions to this are Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata, which rivets, and a CD of Mozart pieces that Uri Caine put out a couple of years ago that is a little jazzed up, but still mostly true to the author's spirit. Overall though, I'm a classical philistine. My feelings towards classical music are similar to my feelings towards sports: It's nice to get dressed up and go out to eat, and then go see a performance with some friends, but in my private moments, it's far from the first thing I reach for.

The song on the radio now is by John Williams. I can tell because I have an overwhelming feeling of destiny sweeping over me, like a battle is in the offing, and I'm going to be a key player. Some kind of odds will need to be overcome, and there will be a damsel that is going to need rescuing (but more importantly, kissing). Somebody's going to need to rally the troops with a stirring speech.

Since I'm the only one up right now, I guess that duty falls to me. I hope there aren't going to be too many slow-motion scenes, because I get nauseous very easily.

3 comments:

  1. Slow motion scenes always make me nauseous too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I........................like...............slow...............motion........................................scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are like me and you love slow motion, go here for some slow motion fun.

    ReplyDelete