Monday, January 9, 2012

Caffeine

It gives me a small joy to stand on the sidewalk outside the local Speedway at 6 am and watch caffeine-starved working folk pull up in front of the store ready for their early morning fix. The tired and desperate look on their faces is very real and beautiful.

The looks on the faces of the Speedway crowd are better than the looks on the faces of  the Starbucks crowd because they need it more. It's also better than the looks that other kinds of junkies get on their faces because it's not as tragic. As far as drugs go, caffeine is pretty benign. In a country where certain segments of our population can go through their entire live fully furnished with all of the basic requirements of survival, it's nice to see people need things every now and then, even if it's just a cheap high.






2 comments:

  1. I can't comment because my coffee is waiting for me in the kitchen.

    Ode to Coffee

    O! coffee, where art thou
    When I need thee now?
    In thy many flavoured blends
    A hot cup would be godsend.


    I cannot keep awake
    Without a short coffee-break.
    With thy life-giving aroma
    Save me from going into a coma.


    Java, Colombian or French Roast
    Thy every flavour, I will toast.
    To the end thy loyal slave
    Three cups a day I will always crave.

    ReplyDelete
  2. **** stars for Willie's poem! (and Spence's post).

    ReplyDelete